Tuesday, October 20, 2009

S.Q.U.I.R.T.

At the end of most afternoons, our class has "S.Q.U.I.R.T.". It stands for Silent, Quiet, UnInterrupted Reading Time, and it is a hit!

Everyone has a job during S.Q.U.I.R.T. -


Every child has filled up a small cardboard box ("browsing box") with books that they have chosen. These books are a "good fit", because: the child chose the book, they have a purpose in reading the book, they are interested in the topic, they can comprehend it, and they know most of the words on the pages.



The kids have learned that there is more than 1 way to read a story:
They practice these ways during S.Q.U.I.R.T.


Some sit on the carpet with a "reading buddy".


Others stay at their desks.



Some like to lounge on the carpet!


There is even a chance to play the class keyboard during S.Q.U.I.R.T., and although it's not about reading, it's fun and creative, so why not?!?










Most students in Room 14 agree that S.Q.U.I.R.T. is a very fun time of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment